Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Loco loco.

I just had this MSN conversation with a friend who was rather disgruntled by the actions of her boyfriend. My general understanding of the situation was that, in summary, he lied to her that he was studying and having supper thereafter when he was actually livin' la vida loca down at Ministry; she found out, she took him to task for it, everyone ends up getting extremely pissed and emotional.

Now, it isn't in my nature to sit in front of the laptop and pretend to be sympathetic - that just ain't me. Sure, I listen when people have gripes about stuff, but I try to maintain an objective stance on situations; basically, I often drop counterarguments when I ought to be sitting quiet and consoling the distressed soul on the other end of the conversation.

So it was that I went about harping on how many boyfriends avoid telling their girlfriends they club because its kinda a dual-bind situation whereby 1. you tell you die, or 2. you don't tell, she find out, you also die... But at least got chance she won't find out, see? I know it's not exactly the best thing to say to someone who's distressed, but I can't help being me, alright? As far as i'm concerned, reason is the only true sovereign in life - everything can and ought to be reasoned out.

Anyway, at some point of time the spotlight shifted abruptly to the issue of this not being the first time she'd caught him - heavy emphasis being laid upon "NOT first time ah! NOT FIRST TIME" My response to this was to again apply the laws of common sense by pointing out that ALL relationships will face deception and lies at some point of time, because nobody's perfect (and more importantly, ALL women lie - but I didn't say that, of course). I even ladled on a teeny bit of humor/sarcasm by replying that she'd better not tell me its the SECOND time (because I thought that'd be kinda over-the-top to profile someone as a compulsive liar on the basis of 2 misdeeds).

Hrmph. Its a case of either my common sense malfunctioning, or girls not having any common sense to begin with, because my cheap attempt at sarcasm ironically turned out to be true.

This reminds me of that book title - Why Men Lie and Why Women Cry, or something. So most guys I know have lied to their partners to go clubbing before - so what? If as a girlfriend you lose your cool everytime your boy heads down to a club for some fun, what dya really expect? You honestly expect him to willingly put himself through the girlfriend shredder everytime he wants to visit Zouk? Face it - everyone lies at some point or another, so what makes your partner somehow more immune to such phenomena?

Ultimately the question is about mutual trust, innit? And seeing as to how trust seems a scarce (and highly idealistic) commodity in most relationships, methinks that this once again reinforces peoples'choice to stay single as a pretty damned good one.

Girls are emo-freaks, guys are all selfish bastards, and i'm happy to straddle the fence and watch the firefight, thank you very much.

No comments: